Monday, September 7, 2015

Old Dress to Cute Skirt

   I found this dress amongst my mom's pile of clothing that used to be popular in the '80s. The material was perfect and the print was fashionable but the style... did people seriously wear that kind of thing? So I decided it needed a refashion.

Is that a bib sewn into the dress?



   The first thing to do was disconnect the skirt part from the top like so:



   Next, using my maxi skirt as a pattern, I trimmed the sides (notice I left room at the top for a waistband).



Snip, snip, snip!

   I took a piece from the top, after removing the buttons and sewing the ends together, to make a waistband.



   Then I ruffled the top of the skirt by sewing a zig-zag pattern over some floss and then cinching the waist like a drawstring bag.



   Time to pin the waistband to the skirt.

Pin, pin, pin!

   A quick sew and we're finished! I now have a cute modern skirt.

Voila!





~Gloria








1 comment:

  1. Oh! This is so incredibly creative and so special! xx If only I had a dress like this... You've done a super job here, Gloria!
    ~ Sanjana
    peridotcove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Comments always make my day. So go ahead, drop me one!