Monday, October 17, 2016

Upcycle a Tissue Box

     I've noticed that tissue companies are putting more eye-catching, colorful patterns on their boxes. Such a shame to just toss them out once they're empty. Perhaps something could be done with the used boxes... maybe mini notebooks?


Supplies:
- Used tissue box with a colorful pattern
- Several sheets of computer paper (you can decide how many pages you want. I used 10 sheets).
- Embroidery floss
- Embroidery needle
- Scissors






     Cut out one panel of your box. 




     Cut your sheets of paper as well, making sure they're the same length and width of your notebook.

 



     Fold your notebook and sheets of paper in half. Using a ruler, mark where you want the holes to be. 




     Using your embroidery needle or scissors (or in my case, both) punch holes where you marked.




     Center your pages over your notebook, making sure the holes line up. Then thread your embroidery needle.




     Stick the needle through the top hole twice, thus creating a loop in the floss, and tie it off.










     Then continue threading the floss through the remaining holes. Once reaching the bottom hole, again thread the needle through the hole twice creating a loop, and tie it off as done above.







     Lastly, sew on a button, cut another length of embroidery floss, tie one end to the button, and then create a loop on the other end to slide over the button. 

Voila, your mini notebook is complete!



   These can be used as small gifts, prizes for children, or stocking stuffers. I use mine when I go hiking and want to sketch some of the wildlife. It's small, light, and easy to throw in a backpack. 






~Gloria





10 comments:

  1. Oh wow. Very nice idea! Your notebook looks great. I have noticed some of the tissue boxes around lately are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my goodness!
    what a creative idea!
    i always loved little journals and notepads...i'll definitely have to try this out!

    many blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you found it inspiring! I've always liked mini notebooks and journals as well. :)

      Delete
  3. I've viewed this post many times, but this time I'm viewing it to make one of these little books. :) That is such a creative idea....I would've never thought of making a book out of a tissue box!

    Thank you for sharing your creative ideas here. I look forward to seeing more! :)

    Love,
    Ashley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, do let me know how it turns out! I'd love to see your version of this craft. :)

      Delete
    2. It turned out well! I didn't make as many pages as you did, but it's still good. :)

      Delete
  4. You are wonderful at DIY Posts! I am to lazy to make any! but I like yours!

    ReplyDelete

Comments always make my day. So go ahead, drop me one!