Saturday, September 9, 2017

Long-Sleeved Blouse to Cute Peplum Top





     There were two reasons I wanted to rescue this shirt. First, it was my mother's when she and my father took their engagement photo 21 years ago.




   Second, I really like the peplum-style frill at the bottom of the shirt. 




Oh, did I mention it's 100% silk?




     Now, for the upcycle. First I turned the shirt inside-out and unpicked the sleeves, being very careful not to rip the material. 






Next, I took in about a half inch from both sides.




     For the sleeves, I first hemmed them a bit to fit the slightly smaller armholes, pinned them, and sewed them back onto the blouse.



     After trying on the blouse, I decided to make it short sleeved instead of long sleeved. In hindsight, I probably should have done this before reattaching the sleeves to the blouse to ensure the sleeves were exactly the same length. Fortunately, the lengths were only slightly off. 





My new peplum top is finished!










~ Gloria




6 comments:

  1. Oh wow, I love this! I want a top like that now. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Try looking through your Mom's closet. You might be amazed at what you'll find. :D

      Delete
  2. Lovely blouse! Pretty floral pattern. :)

    https://tizziestidbits.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! A lot of vintage clothing have really pretty patterns.

      Delete
  3. This is so special that you can wear the blouse your mom wore in her engagement photo. Nice job on the upcycle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah, I was delighted to be able to wear it after only a few modifications.

      Delete

Comments always make my day. So go ahead, drop me one!